January SAAZ BREWZletter
Brought to you by Platinum Sponsor
Sunday, January 15th, 2pm
Coasters Pub & Biergarten
Come to the first SAAZ meeting of the year and enjoy a beer in the Biergarten with your SAAZ friends!
Welcome the new officers!
Partake in the entries for the Hop Salad Intraclub Brew Challenge!
Pay your dues and pick up your ingredients for the next challenge
Vote for Webmaster Nicky & Billy Dawson
Sign up to volunteer at upcoming beer fests
Sign up to be a part of the Bottoms Up Beer Run Committee
Sign up for possible bus trip in the near future!!!
RESULTS – 2017 SAAZ Officer Elections
In case you missed the holiday party, here are your officers…
Prez – Dan Markey
1st VP – Nathan Gray
2nd VP – Susie Markey
Secretary – Chris Jojola
Treasurer – Anne Gregg
Webmaster – Vacant
Librarian – Brian Cavins
SAAZ Intraclub Brew Challenge
SAAZ quarterly Intraclub Brew Challenges will continue in 2017. We would like to encourage more brewing in the club and provide more feedback to our brewers. Each quarter the club will announce the challenge ingredient/style and requirements.
1) Must be a current SAAZ Member with 2017 Dues paid.
2) Sign-up for the challenge at a meeting – General or Officer. The supplies for each challenge are limited and to keep things fair for all we will not accept sign-ups at any other time.
3) Must pick up special ingredient at a SAAZ Meeting (General or Officer), we will not make special arrangements to deliver items.
4) Bring 6 – 12 oz bottles or a 64 oz growler of your beer to the designated meeting for judging.
5) SAAZ will provide a prize for the winner of the challenge. We also encourage you to enter into upcoming homebrew competitions to win even more!
6) If you fail to participate in a challenge it will affect your ability to partake in future challenges.
CHALLENGE #1 – HOP SALAD
Don’t forget to bring your beers to the January Meeting.
CHALLENGE #2 – IRISH you were Beer!
Starting in January we will be giving brewers Kent Goldings hops to use in your next brew. Beers must be from BJCP Category 15 – 15A Irish Red Ale, 15B Irish Stout or 15C Irish Extra Stout. Entries will be judged against BJCP Guidelines at the Spring Party in March. Get ready for St. Patrick’s Day!
HAPPY BREWING and GOOD LUCK!
Upcoming Competitions – showcase your award winning homebrew!
Check out the American Homebrewers Association website for a complete list of upcoming competitions.
Florida Craft Brew & Wing Festival – 2/18/17
- Vero Beach
- Entry window 2/9/17
- Let an officer know if you want to brew for the festival and enter the competition
Coconut Cup – 3/4/17
- Entry window 1/9/17 – 2/2/17, $7 entry fee
- 450 entry cap, limits 2 per sub-cat and 6 per brewer total
- Bring your entries to the January meeting
AHA National Homebrew Competition First Round – 3/24/17
- Application Period 1/30/17 – 2/5/17 (Application)
- Entry window 2/27/17 – 3/8/17, $14 entry fee
- Must be a current AHA Member (join or renew here)
- Must be subscribed to NHC emails
Policy: SAAZ will reimburse entry payments for Florida circuit competitions, up to 10 per brewer and up to $1000 total per year. Remember that SAAZ policies and procedures state that any expense must be turned in within 90 days for reimbursement. If you enter any FLORIDA CIRCUIT competitions this year, email a copy of your registration to Anne Gregg for reimbursement.
Club Brew Day (Extract Day) – January 14th, 2pm @ The Book Rack
SAAZ January Meeting – January 15th, 2pm @ Coasters Pub
Club Brew Day (All-Grain Day) – January 21st, 2pm @ The Book Rack
SAAZ Officer Meeting – February 3, 7pm @ The Brix Project
Beer Tasting Event: Extract vs. All-Grain – February 11th, 1pm @ The Book Rack
Vero Craft Beer & Wing Fest – February 18th, 12pm @ Vero Beach
SAAZ February Meeting – February 19th, 2pm @ Iron Oak Post
Space Coast Craft Beer Festival – February 25th, 12pm @ Space Coast Harley Davidson
Shrimp Fest & Craft Brew Hullabaloo – February 25th & 26th, 12pm @ Fellsmere
SAAZ Officer Meeting – March 3rd @ Gregg House
Club Brew Day – March 4th @ Intracoastal
Bottoms Up Beer Run – June 10th, 6pm @ Wickham Park
2017 Dues – Time to renew!
If you want to be included in all the fun events SAAZ has coming up, it’s time to renew your membership. Some of the upcoming events and brew challenges are only open to currently paid 2017 members. There are many advantages to membership, you do not want to miss out. Please pay the Treasurer (Anne Gregg) at any club meeting or online at our website via PayPal – Click here to pay. Make sure to get your new membership card from the secretary.
Individual Membership = $20 Family Membership = $30 Lifetime Membership = $150
SAAZ is now using TEXT REMINDERS!
Sign up for text alerts from SAAZ! We will send a maximum of 2 texts per month.
Text SAAZ to 24587 to join